History

Highlights of Tofield Library History

Date
Events and Highlights
1916
Members of the Women's Institute donated one good book each; these were supplemented with purchases. The library was housed in the Women's Institute quarters.
1924
Collection size reached about 1000 volumes.
1944
Library moved into the Town Hall, open Saturday afternoons; about 2000 volumes.
1951
New Town Hall built; library disbanded. Books distributed to high school and storage.
1954
Re-established upstairs in the Community Hall; town grant and donations provided 260 books.
1956
354 books; 59 members; circulation 43 per week; board meets annually.
1957
Dominion Day Parade 1957 Mrs. Richardson, Mr. Callard, Mrs. Baptist, Mrs. Freebury, Vicky, Doug, and Daisy the dog, ride the Tofield Library float in the July 1, 1957 parade.
1964
Established as a municipal library under the Libraries Act. 1687 books; 107 members; circulation 89 per week.
1974
Tofield Library in the Old Legion Building Moved into the Former Legion Hall, which had previously been the Bank of Montreal.
1981
Old Library on Supports, while New Library being BuiltConstruction of the new Town Office/Library building completed; one full-time staff member; open 16 hours.
1982-
1983
Mrs. Dorothea Freebury retires after more than 30 years as library custodian. Elizabeth Hubbard hired as Librarian; public hours increased to 21 per week. 11,120 books; 862 members; circulation 423 per week. Preschool and summer programs established.
1986
Increased to 30 hours per week; 13,551 books; 1069 members; circulation 543 per week
1987
Tofield Library Board and Beaver County Board sign AgreementSigned Joint Agreement for service with newly-formed County of Beaver Municipal Library Board; rural nonresident fee rescinded.
1988
Completed 5-Year Plan of Service; participated in 5 different book exchanges
1989-
1990
Established audio cassette collection & opened toy lending library; 17,537 books; 1173 members; circulation 31,472 annually.
1991-
1993
Increased hours of public service to 34 per week; photocopy service begun; established video collection, began implementation of market plan; began automation project.
1993
Creative Leadership Aware - 1993Recipient of the provinical Creative Librarianship Award.
1994
Automated catalog and circulation system launched; Canada Employment online job information center installed.
1995
Edmonton Freenet Public Access terminal made available; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Edmonton Public Library.
1996
Free public Internet access; free public word processor; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Strathcona County Library.
1997
Second internet access terminal; website launched; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Camrose Public Library.
1998
Joined Northern Lights Library System, effective Dec. 1, 1998
1999
Third public access internet terminal, with in-library access to Encyclopedia Britannica, Electric Library and Info-Trac (magazines online)
2000
Connected to Wide-area Network of libraries in three regions, operating from a single server. Catalogue also available on the internet at TracPac. Exchange of books among libraries (Interlibrary Loans) increase by 750% because of access through the Alberta Public Library Electronic Network. (APLEN)
2001
Fourth public access internet terminal added, with colour printer; digital camera available for loan. Interlibrary loan transactions exceeded 5000.
2002
Laurel Penner hired to replace Liz Hubbard, who retired after 20 years as Librarian.
2004
Laura Hill hired to replace Laurel Penner, who married and moved to the St. Paul area.
2005
Teresa Eleniak, appointed library manager upon Laura's resignation, until May 2007.
2007
April-May; Extensive renovations to the library interior. August-Jan 2008, Carol Morgan served as Librarian.
2008
June, Connie Forst appointed as Librarian.  
2009
January 2009 - the Library moves onto a new library automation program called Polaris and is connected to over 150 libraries within TRAC (Northern Lights, Yellowhead, Marigold and Peace).