Highlights of Tofield Library History
Highlights of Tofield Library History
Nicole Hillyer was appointed as Library Manager in April.
Theresa Rawe appointed as Library Manager, July 2021 – January 2022
Connie Forst served as Library Manger June 2008-April 2021
January 2009 - the Library moves onto a new library automation program called Polaris and is connected to over 150 libraries within TRAC (Northern Lights, Yellowhead, Marigold and Peace).
June, Connie Forst was appointed as Librarian.
April-May; Extensive renovations to the library interior. August-Jan 2008, Carol Morgan served as Librarian.
Teresa Eleniak, appointed library manager upon Laura's resignation, until May 2007.
Laura Hill hired to replace Laurel Penner, who married and moved to the St. Paul area.
Laurel Penner was hired to replace Liz Hubbard, who retired after 20 years as Librarian.
Fourth public access internet terminal added, with color printer; digital camera available for loan. Interlibrary loan transactions exceeded 5000.
Connected to Wide-area Network of libraries in three regions, operating from a single server. Catalogue also available on the internet at TracPac. Exchange of books among libraries (Interlibrary Loans) increase by 750% because of access through the Alberta Public Library Electronic Network. (APLEN)
Third public access internet terminal, with in-library access to Encyclopedia Britannica, Electric Library and Info-Trac (magazines online)
Joined Northern Lights Library System, effective Dec. 1, 1998
Second internet access terminal; website launched; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Camrose Public Library.
Free public Internet access; free public word processor; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Strathcona County Library.
Edmonton Freenet Public Access terminal made available; signed reciprocal membership agreement with Edmonton Public Library.
Automated catalog and circulation system launched; Canada Employment online job information center installed.
Recipient of the provincial Creative Librarianship Award.
Increased hours of public service to 34 per week; photocopy service began; established video collection, began implementation of market plan; began automation project.
Established audio cassette collection & opened toy lending library; 17,537 books; 1173 members; circulation 31,472 annually.
Completed 5-Year Plan of Service; participated in 5 different book exchanges
Signed Joint Agreement for service with newly formed County of Beaver Municipal Library Board; rural nonresident fee rescinded.
Increased to 30 hours per week; 13,551 books; 1069 members; circulation 543 per week
Mrs. Dorothea Freebury retires after more than 30 years as library custodian. Elizabeth Hubbard was hired as Librarian; public hours increased to 21 per week. 11,120 books; 862 members; circulation 423 per week. Preschool and summer programs were established.
Construction of the new Town Office/Library building completed; one full-time staff member; open 16 hours.
Moved into the Former Legion Hall, which had previously been the Bank of Montreal.
Established as a municipal library under the Libraries Act. 1687 books; 107 members; circulation 89 per week.
Mrs. Richardson, Mr. Callard, Mrs. Baptist, Mrs. Freebury, Vicky, Doug, and Daisy the dog, ride the Tofield Library float in the July 1, 1957, parade.
354 books; 59 members; circulation 43 per week; board meets annually.
Re-established upstairs in the Community Hall; town grant and donations provided 260 books.
New Town Hall built; library disbanded. Books distributed to high school and storage.
Library moved into the Town Hall, open Saturday afternoons; about 2000 volumes.
Collection size reached about 1000 volumes.
Members of the Women's Institute donated one good book each; these were supplemented with purchases. The library was housed in the Women's Institute quarters.